Monday, September 19, 2011

Faux Mercury Glass

Faux Mercury Glass...it's gorgeous, it's EVERYWHERE, and is not cheap.  But, alas...there is a way to have it and not spend the whole bank!  Here is how I achieved this look.
I used:
  • Spray bottle (filled with water) with a fine mist
  • Glass item of choice
  • Looking Glass Spray by Krylon (I found mine at Michaels...with coupon)

I made sure the glass was clean and dried before starting.  First I lightly misted the inside of my glass piece (you paint the inside in order to achieve that shiny look on the outside of the glass):
Then I immediately begin to spray the inside of my piece with the Krylon spray.  There runs and drips, but this is a-okay because this is what gives it that Mercury Glass look.  Here is the what the inside of mine looked like right after I sprayed it with Krylon:
You can see where the water separates from the paint...so pretty.  I let it fully dry, there were puddles of paint in the bottom, but these dried nicely.  If tilted (while there are still puddles), letting the paint run up and down the sides, there will be noticeable streaks and it won't look natural.  


Here is my end result.  It was the first attempt and turned out pretty good.  I think with a little more practice I will perfect my technique.  I feel that the finer the mist the more you achieve the Mercury Glass look:
Enjoy!
*if you are making a Faux Mercury Glass vase you will need to place a smaller container inside with your water for your flowers.  
*Do not place candles with a flame inside a piece that you have painted


No comments:

Post a Comment